Thursday 23 April 2020

Even More Letters Never Sent


To recap, as of 21st August, 2014, I adopted the practice of saying exactly what I felt needed to be said when engaging with others through social media, and then not saying it, deleting the words I'd written in the comment box, the email or whatever, having copied them to a notebook document on my word processor. This, I find, has saved a lot of arguments because it gets it out of my system without my having to point out that the person with whom I am attempting communication is full of shit. It also leaves the other party free to continue subscribing to whatever bollocks inspired my response. I've taken great pleasure in composing some of the responses which follow, and find many of them entertaining in their own right. You may disagree, but then I'm the one sat here in front of my computer and it's been a quiet week what with it being the end of the world and everything.

Ah Trumpanzees - how I miss those pre-internet days when you were all just random backwards farm hands mumbling to yourselves about whatever the latest tabloid tray jigsaw had told you to think this week in the corner of some bar - and yet look at you now, almost forming your own sentences and sharing them all over the internet, or at least repeating something you heard one of the bigger boys say and sharing it all over the internet to a chorus of happy grunting and clapping flippers from your newly emboldened brethren. Woof! Woof!
***

I know exactly what you mean. It seems to be how the enemy works these days - by turning everyone into weird little cancer-copies of itself.
***

It's possible to elevate oneself without pushing down on someone else, and whilst I'd rather not be one of those people whose only post on someone else's page is disparaging, this is drivel.
***

Now you mention it, I spent a couple of years on a forum which got extraordinarily cliquey and where they had this thing called Shaker's Law, named after some forum bloke who came up with it, and amounting to the claim that everyone who gets pissed off and leaves the forum comes crawling back in the end having seen the error of their ways (because the forum was so great and we're all such great pals and we all look out for each other) and so the crowing when anyone left and then came back was unbelievable. Anyway, I'm still quite proud of the fact that once I'd had enough, I left without ceremony and never went back.
***

It's only because I don't have time to write the announcements due to being on here posting stuff about how I know who my real friends are.
***

Still, better vote Conservative just in case. This is probably the fault of the other lot anyway, and that beardy one wears a jacket with patches on the elbows and obviously hates successful people, which I'm sure you'll agree is jolly unfair - spends all his time with his nose in a book, knows nothing of real life, the big swot. The parents of these urchins might have better jobs if they'd tried harder at school, although it could be that some bottom smuggler has already given their jobs to ILLEGAL MUZZIES. It's the soup of the day.
***

Yes. It breaks my heart sometimes just to think that so much of the world seems to be running on vestigial instincts which not only are no longer necessary to keep us all alive but are actively contributing to our destruction.
***

You had one job, al Qaeda...
***

I respectfully but strongly disagree. Whilst Wells has written a good few yawnfests, War of the Worlds is not among them, and criticising a perceived lack of character development (an overrated quality if ever there was) suggests the novel may simply have not been for you, you fucking moron.
***

I know, right? What he needs to do is add a few scenes like with the main character drawing a picture at school and like showing it to his dad but his dad says it's bullshit so he spends the rest of his life with a deep inner sadness at his dad having said his drawing was bullshit, until the Martians invade, then the invasion can be a metaphor for his wrestling with his inner sadness at his dad having said his drawing was bullshit.
***

We can only hope he isn't so upset that he ends his own useless life.
***

Yes, I hope Boris gets in and reverses all the damage Labour have done over the last nine years of their being in government.
***

You're talking about trickle down economics which I don't believe is really any more legitimate than the Wizard of Oz asking us to pay no attention to that little bloke stood behind the curtain, and the current divide between rich and poor would seem to support that it doesn't work, hence the need to blame everyone but those in control of the machine doing the actual damage. Plus I couldn't give a shit about millionaires bleating over having to pay tax, particularly at 45% (not sure where you're getting 80% but I may well be wrong). Final comment about dole scrounging sponge monkeys (etc.) suggests we should probably just agree to disagree.
***

I know a few people have been saying that when the tipping point arrives, it's going to be spectacular, but I'll be happier when I can actually see it. I'm getting a bit worn out with things which simply won't ever, ever, ever happen, and then happen.
***

Not sure if it's the US or just Texas, but no-one is allowed to sell fireworks within the city limits, so every highway has a massive discount firework sale shed thing about ten feet outside the city limits as you head almost anywhere else. One of them exploded last week due to a stray spark or something, which is funny.
***

Yes, in the sense that he's not the comedy bungler he plays on TV.
***

We now have an official cat colony license as recognised by the city, which means that next time Orange Squidward decides he wants to involve himself in what goes on in our garden, he'll have to change tack, perhaps calling the cops on us for having the wrong type of lawn or maybe because we haven't cleaned our windows to the sort of standard he expects.
***

Not particularly wanting to get involved here, but this person hasn't actually stated a reason as to why he/she/it believes you suck niggers dicks, so the question is meaningless. Don't know if it's worth pointing that out.
***

I never take the holiday, preferring instead to praise Satan even harder than usual for the full duration of the day.
***

I dunno - always found Griff a bit more dodgy than I like, although thankfully they never seemed to tell him where the studio was.
***

I know what you mean, and anything more demonstrative than Harold Pinter generally makes me uncomfortable. At a bit of a tangent, the whole idea of David Bowie as having been on a mission to combine theatre and rock music has always annoyed me a little, because it sounds like drivel; yet just this week I picked up Images, the double of his early Decca stuff. I already had most of the material as it happens, and had always regarded it as a bid for fame by means of Newley-inspired novelty, except I've realised the sheer range doesn't actually fit that theory (Laughing Gnome on one hand, a (hopefully ironic) hymn to eugenics on the other, and of course London Boys). The chatty sixties cover notes suggest this was Bowie's theatricality expressed early on, with songs as plays (etc.) of what is often very different constitution, and possibly for the first time ever I've understood what is meant.
***

I see panic. I see refutation of the statistics purportedly producing that panic along with the suggestion that we shouldn't panic. I see refutation of the suggestion that we shouldn't panic because even though the hospitals aren't going to overflow with bodies, we'd better hope we don't get a nasty cut and have to go to hospital because the hospitals will be overflowing with bodies, so I guess we should panic. I see social media persons getting very self-important and shaking us by the shoulders screaming FOOLS! YOU'LL DESTROY US ALL! My wife worked in epidemiology, had swine flu in 2009, and she regards it as bullshit at least in terms of it being the end of civilisation. I trust her judgement on this. Flu was already a killer. Not much has changed except now we have to wipe our bums on our hands and my friend in England can't buy fucking paracetamol due to loonies stocking up for the flupocalypse. Hocking up a greenie into the yawning mouth of a fellow commuter was never entirely polite, so I don't really need any older boys who went to the proper school telling me to not do it.
***

Regarding all of this panic about life without toilet paper, shops running out of everything, unharvested food rotting in the soil etc. I'm fairly sure there are already a shit-ton of people who have been living their entire lives in those conditions, although usually we're told it's their fault. I therefore propose that anyone worried about COVID-19 gets on their bike, pulls themselves up by their bootstraps, and builds themselves a nice big well-staffed hospital with excellent funding.
***

My take on this is that a) it's serious up to a point, but it isn't bubonic plague, and b) thinking aloud here, I wonder if a constant diet of news media induces a sort of pleasurable panic response (adrenaline or summat, no idea) meaning we need a new shitstorm roughly every three or four months (and happily we seemingly have plenty of material at present). I try to call my dad ever month, and sometimes he just can't get those warnings and prophecies of doom out fast enough, and it's clear that this sort of thing has become his reason for being of late, although admittedly it's usually the perils of immigration (despite it having no actual impact upon his daily existence); so, as for whether it tells us anything that's actually of any use, I don't personally believe so.
***

Yes, because I definitely said that me having to deal with a fucking moron was exactly the same thing. I really regret that now. Thanks for setting me straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment