Friday 29 March 2019

Rap Autopsy in a Diner


I've come to regard the last five years of the twentieth century as my transitional years, for one reason and another. A lot of stuff changed during those five years, or ceased to remain the same, and my listening habits were among those changes. Rock music was no longer doing it where I was concerned, and neither Morrissey nor his legacy said anything to me about my life. I think I may even have had an entire year without music somewhere in there.

I effected a return to the form with classical works, just the odd piece of Beethoven or Strauss here and there, mainly out of curiosity and because I trusted that it wouldn't suddenly adopt a Manchester accent and start walking like a monkey. Somehow this led to R&B, another magisterium comprising the sort of thing I wouldn't ordinarily have enjoyed, or at least understood; and the R&B led directly to rap.

I had a few rap records, but mostly the obvious stuff you would expect a white bloke to own. I'd never fully engaged with rap because it seemed too vast a realm with its own distinct parameters, and my enthusiasm would only ever be a token indulgence - like all those worthy white dudes still insisting that, in their inevitably humble opinion, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is the greatest rap album - because they read it somewhere and it's the only one the fuckers have actually heard all the way through.

In 1995 I suddenly felt I understood rap, really and truly for the first time. I could no longer stand to listen to rock because it sounded like entertainment, and only entertainment, and with anything weirder or more experimental beginning to seem like so much pointless art gallery wank. Everyone I knew at work listened to rap and I acquired a taste for it by a process resembling osmosis, and because it was the only thing which sounded angry enough to get me through a miserable, back-breaking day. Disgruntled black men kept me sane because they understood the shitty end of the stick better than anyone.

It was always exciting when I spotted a new issue of The Source on the racks of the newsagent in East Dulwich Grove. The Source is an American magazine covering rap music, hip-hop, and black culture. I also bought XXL, Rap Pages, Vibe, and Hip Hop Connection. The latter was an English magazine and was, as such, more intelligent, better written, and funnier than its transatlantic equivalents. There was also Murder Dog, the best American magazine by some margin, but it wasn't easy to find and was usually only on sale at Tower Records in central London. The rest ranged from well-meaning but stupid to just plain stupid depending on the issue, but they nevertheless kept me informed and fascinated.

So a new issue of The Source would turn up on the racks of the newsagent in East Dulwich Grove. I'd buy a copy in the morning and save it for after work, heading to Ken's caff up Crystal Palace Road to read about Timbaland, Master P, or the LOX over egg, chips, beans, two sausages and a cup of tea. This was my ritual, a little splash of sunlight in what was usually a shitty, overcast day of hard labour spent hammering square pegs into round holes.

'Usual, sir?' Ken calls as I enter, because I always order the same thing. I nod, grunt, sit, and start on my reading - new albums and usually two or three I'm after, who has done what, names I've been wondering about, always something which seems worth knowing. It's another world, one to which I feel dimly connected by virtue of my less than sunny disposition.

We need such rituals to keep us pinned to the planet.

The Source had its moments, but was never so great as it clearly believed itself to be - a position apparently based on the idea that the magazine was somehow woven into the fabric of the culture it described, that a review awarding the full five mics to a new album in The Source really meant something in the great scheme of things, and that The Source had been down from day one, as we say. The magazine had its place, and there are a lot of albums I picked up specifically because I'd read about them in The Source, including albums which may or may not have kept me approximately sane at one point or another; but, as with the lyrical content of the music upon which it reported, The Source often had a tendency to overplay its own significance. While an artist such as Louisiana's Fiend might justifiably claim to be the baddest motherfucker alive, he does so in the context of his music as a form of expression, and if you listen to enough of his music you'll most likely reach the same conclusion as he did. On the other hand, a magazine adopting this same position as its editorial policy is fucking ridiculous because it's a magazine, exclusively serving to report on the activities of others. The range of its potential for original artistic expression is limited, unless it's actually a fucking novel and not a magazine at all. The Source never quite seemed to grasp this distinction, and has historically regarded its own commentary as an integral strand of the culture it attempts to describe.

Nevertheless, a new issue was always exciting as I scoffed my two sausages, egg, chips and beans, shucking off eight or more hours of mindless, grey slog. I'd finish eating, pay up, then head home with a little more of a swagger in my step than would otherwise have been the case, freshly aligned with something which made all of this bearable.

Twenty-four years later, I'm living in Texas and I spot a copy of The Source on the rack at my local supermarket. I buy it out of a sense of nostalgia and head for Papagayos, my nearest Mexican diner. The sky is uncharacteristically grey and I'm going to read the magazine over breakfast seeing as it's still going. Were I to describe this in a novel, it would be a motif, a pattern which repeats whilst serving as a measure of how much else has changed; and that's what is happening here because life is often very much like a novel.

I no longer carry the weight of a disappointing world on my shoulders, and life has generally turned out pretty decent. This allows me the luxury of looking back, not so much out of nostalgia as curiosity, attempting to reach an understanding of the past. I still listen to rap because much of it communicates certain truisms which apply regardless of the quality of one's life, simply because it's about the quality of society in general; but I no longer read the magazines because most of them have ceased publication, and because in any case I grew bored of them many years ago.

The Source in particular shot itself in the foot when taking the editorial position that a specific white rapper was destroying hip hop. Whilst there may be many good reasons to criticise Eminem, his having committed a casual act of racism on tape back when no-one had heard of the fucker would seem to be reaching somewhat, particularly considering acts which those who live in glass houses should probably try to avoid. The demonisation of Eminem seemed a cynically obvious attempt to generate controversy and, by association, sales, whilst elevating the career of Benzino, a less economically successful rapper with shares in the magazine, or some editorial position, or something of the sort.

I've purchased what is apparently issue 274 of The Source, probably the first since I moved here, and I'm going to read it in the caff just like in the old days. It was there on the magazine rack in the supermarket and I thought, what the fuck, so I sit in Papagayos and wait for my migas plate. Migas is my American equivalent of two sausage, egg, chips, and beans. It's an omelette of chillis, peppers, corn chips and cheese served with refried beans and fried potatoes.

Issue 274 is the Annual Power 30 Issue of The Source, a yearly special which prints a list of who makes the most money in the rap industry. It's a feature I never cared for, and never understood why anyone would. In at number six is the guy who started Spotify, a streaming service. The entire magazine now comprises industry horseshit. Reading it is like being stuck in a room full of suits as they discuss their annual salaries. Imagine an arts publication which examines Picasso purely in terms of how much his paintings fetched at auction.

Interviews with artists I've never heard of explain how much they were signed for, how much money they make, how much their hit song sold, how many downloaded it from bandcamp, and then - every single fucking time - all about how Lil Yachty be keeping it real. Everybody be keeping it real. All they've ever done is keep it real. I don't remember the last time I heard of a rap artist who ain't be keeping it real; and you can tell they be keeping it real because they take the trouble to write it out using the syntax of a person who ain't be too good at the grammar 'n' shit; like diligently replacin' the g with an apostrophe so as to render phrases such as keepin' it real closer to how they might be spoken by some guy from the street, because you ain't want anyone to be thinkin' your ass be all fancy 'n' shit or that you ain't be keepin' it real. I sold my back issues of The Source to a bloke in Croatia through eBay, so I don't know whether the magazine was always this way, or whether it's simply that I'm happier and less fucking stupid than I used to be.

One issue of a magazine which probably wasn't The Source but may as well have been had an interview with Eve, the Ruff Ryders recording artist. The article emphasised her keepin' it real and repeatedly compared her to a pitbull in a skirt. Some journalist had presumably come up with the analogy, and they were going to get their money's worth. The next issue ran a letter praising both Eve and the article. She keepin' it real and she real fly, the reader enthused, adding, she like a pitbull in a skirt, cleverly restating the analogy with the words in the exact same order and everything. It was hard to see why anyone would have bothered writing such a letter, and I personally thought it reflected poorly on both the readership and the editorial standards of the magazine.

So I do my best to find something worth reading in the Annual Power 30 Issue of The Source, but it's like reading a fucking bank statement or something given to you by an insurance salesman. Er'body be keepin' it real and er'body be makin' hella money, and that's all it has to say for itself. The legacy of Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Huey Newton, Olaudah Equiano and anyone else who ever had their ass kicked for pointing out that society is rife with certain inequalities is apparently we be getting' paid. In a society of do rights and apple polishers, where individual freedoms are becoming less important than just how hard you saluted, how hard you cheered, the voice of the resistance has become an investment portfolio, and if you play your cards right, you too might one day get a key to the executive washroom, or at least get to eat the slop they feed you in the big house.

I eat my migas, which are delicious, but which have taken a long time coming; and whilst Papagayos used to be a great place to eat, they seem to have fallen behind. I get the impression they're short staffed, and the food is good, but not quite to the standards of Los Dos Laredos or Bandera Jalisco. I skim the magazine, but there's no name with which I am familiar, and nothing I recognise. Subsequent research conducted via the internet yields video clips of rainbow-haired teenagers reading out their bank statements and pulling faces over a pinging noise. Briefly I pause to read about the Yung Miami and JT, collectively known as the City Girls.

Unfortunately, JT has been robbed of all the joy of the #In MyFeelingsChallege due to her incarceration on credit card fraud. She reported to jail on a two-year prison sentence in July, and is scheduled to be released in March 21, 2020.

Miami has been carrying the flame solo and she has been doing a good job keeping their name alive. She launched the #CityGirlsTwerkChallenge where contestants uploaded their best video twerking and the grand prize was $25,000 and a chance to get 'flewed' out to be in the music video with herself and Cardi B. Twerk was the twosome's first entry in the Billboard Hot 100 charts, coming in at 92.

I know they can't all be Angela Davis, but Jesus…

Maybe it was always this way and I simply didn't notice. I suppose the realisation at least means that I'm older, hopefully a little a wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment